Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Psalm 120


Prayer for Relief from Bitter Foes 
In my distress I called upon the Lord,
And cried to my God for help;
He heard my voice out of His temple,
And my cry for help before Him came into His ears.
Psalm 18:6 
         A Song of  Ascents
     1      In my trouble I cried to the Lord,
And He answered me.  
   2     Deliver my soul, O Lord, from lying lips,
From a deceitful tongue.  

       What shall be given to you, and what more shall be done to you,
You  deceitful tongue? 

   4      Sharp arrows of the warrior,
With the burning  coals of the broom tree. 
     5     Woe is me, for I sojourn in  Meshech,
For I dwell among the  tents of Kedar!  

     6     Too long has my soul had its dwelling
With those who  hate peace.  
     7     I  am for peace, but when I speak,
They are  for war. 
 

Lying lips are an abomination to the Lord,
But those who deal faithfully are His delight.  – Proverbs  12:22
 
Although there is no credit given to David for writing this psalm, it is a psalm of principle, short, and packs a hard message.  The psalmist is praying for God to deliver him from false friends and their malicious tongues–spreading false charges against him. In his distress, he sought God by fervent prayer.  God hates a lying tongue and his wrath is compared to hot burning coals having a fierce heat... that "keeps fire very long".  For those who knew truth – and then moved to make it a lie, shall have their portion in the lake that burns eternally.  

In 2 Samuel 15, David's son Absolom conspires to steal the throne, a direct threat to the Davidic Covenant set in place by God. God hates a lying tongue and deceiving motives.  David had ties to these men and desired to be separated from this sort of conduct.  It is very grievous to a good man, to be cast into the company of the wicked.  He desires to be separated from these men and live peaceably. 

Hate is a strong word and many will not associate it with the Love of God.  The opposite of love is not hate, but "self."   Selfishness God hates.  Hate is an emotion, one of disdain.  Hate involves intense hostility towards anything that will hurt or destroy. Love is unselfish loyalty and concern for the good of another, a strong affection rising out of kinship or personal ties. 
 
Let us follow David as he desired to follow in the likeness of his God.  In our distress let us cry out unto the Lord, Jesus Christ, and He will hear us. Let us follow after peace and holiness, striving to overcome evil with good.

No comments:

Post a Comment