Sunday, January 26, 2014

Psalm 50

Time is Growing Short



God will Judge the Righteous and the Wicked  A Psalm of Asaph
    1    The Mighty One, God, the Lord, has spoken.  And summoned the earth from the
           rising of the sun to its setting.
    2     Out of Zion, the perfection of beauty, God has shone forth.
    3     May our God come—and He  will not keep silence, fire devours before Him, and it is
         very tempestuous around Him.   
 
 4–5    He summons heaven and earth as a jury, He’s taking his people to court:
          “Round up my saints who swore on the Bible their loyalty to me.”
     6     The whole cosmos attests to the fairness of this court, that here God is judge. 
 7–15     “Are you listening, dear people?  I’m getting ready to speak-

      Israel, I’m about ready to bring you to trial.  This is your God, speaking to you. 
      I don’t find fault with your acts of worship, the frequent burnt sacrifices you offer.
      But why should I want your blue-ribbon bull, or more and more goats from your
      herds?  Every creature in the forest is mine, the wild animals on all the mountains. I
      know every mountain bird by name.  The scampering field mice are my friends.  If I get
      hungry, do you think I’d tell you?  All creation and its bounty are mine.   Do you think I
      feast on venison? or drink draughts of goats’ blood?  Spread for me a banquet of
      praise, serve High God a feast of kept promises.  And call for help when you’re in
      trouble— I’ll help you, and you’ll honor me.” 

   16–21     Next, God calls up the wicked:
     “What are you up to, quoting my laws, talking like we are good friends?  You never
       answer the door when I call--
       you treat my words like garbage.

     If you find a thief, you make him your buddy? Adulterers are your friends of choice.
     Your mouth drools filth, lying is a serious art form with you.  You stab your own brother
     in the back, rip off your little sister.  I kept a quiet patience while you did these things-
     you thought I went along with your game.  I’m calling you on the carpet, now, laying
     your wickedness out in plain sight.   
 
  22–23  “Time’s up for playing fast and loose with me.  I’m ready to pass sentence, and  there
      is no help in sight!  It’s the praising life that honors me.
     As soon as you set your foot on the Way,  I’ll show you my salvation.”
     [vs 4-23, "The Message" Bible] [Peterson, Eugene H.: The Message : The Bible in Contemporary Language]
 
 
When we stand before God, what will matter is not that we’ve performed religious rituals, but that we have worshiped and obeyed God from the heart.
 
     Right now you may be in the midst of some kind of trouble...  But listen to what the
     psalmist says: "the way out is upto God."  Start lifting your voice up to God in Praise.  
 
    "When you offer me your sacrifice of thankfulness in the midst of all the trouble, then I
     will intervene on your behalf.  I will deliver you and you will honor me."  
     [vss, 4, 15,  New King James Version]
 
For the one who does this, the LORD will prepare the way for his salvation.
 
1. We all will stand before God in judgment (50:1-6).
 
2. When we stand before God for judgment, what will matter is not that we have performed religious rituals, but that we have worshiped God from the heart (50:7-15). 
        -- Ritualism gives the ritualist a sense of pride, whereas heartfelt worship humbles us
        before God.
 
3. When we stand before God for judgment, what will matter is not that we have we have obeyed God from the heart (50:16-21).
        --We are prone to invent God in our own image so that we don’t have to deal with our
        sins.
 
 
LORD, right now, we offer to You our sacrifices of Praise and Thankfulness.  Amen 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment