Saturday, August 30, 2014

PSALM 118 : Choosing Life

God’s Everlasting Mercy and Goodness

 1   Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good, for His lovingkindness is everlasting.
 2   Oh let Israel say, “His lovingkindness is everlasting.”
 3   Oh let the house of Aaron say, “His lovingkindness is everlasting.”
 4   Oh let those who fear the Lord say, “His lovingkindness is everlasting.”  

 5   From my distress I called upon 1the Lord; the Lord answered me and set me in a large place.
 6   The Lord is for me; I will not fear; what can man do to me?
 7   The Lord is for me among those who help me – therefore I will look with satisfaction on those who hate me.
 8   It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in man.
 9   It is better to take refuge in the Lord  than to trust in princes.
 10   All nations surrounded me, in the name of the Lord I will surely cut them off.
 11   They surrounded me; yes, they surrounded me, in the name of the Lord the will surely be cut off.  

 12   They surrounded me like bees, they were extinguished as a fire of thorns; in the name of the Lord I will surely cut them off.
 13   You pushed me violently so that I  was falling, but the Lord helped me. 
 14    The Lord is my strength and song, and He has become my salvation.
 15   The sound of joyful shouting and salvation is in the tents of the righteous, the right hand of the Lord does valiantly.
 16   The right hand of the Lord is exalted; the right hand of the Lord does valiantly.
 17   I will not die, but live, and tell of the works of the Lord.
 18    The Lord has disciplined me severely, but He has not given me over to death.  
 19   Open to me the gates of righteousness and I shall enter through them – shall give thanks to the Lord.  

20   This is the gate of the Lord, the righteous will enter through it.
21   I shall give thanks to You, for You have answered me, and You have become my salvation.
22   The stone which the builders rejected has become the chief corner stone.
23   This is the Lord’s doing; it is marvelous in our eyes.
24   This is the day which the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.  

 25   O Lord, do save, we beseech You; O Lord, we beseech You, do send prosperity!
 26   Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Lord, we have blessed you from the house of the Lord.
 27    The Lord is God, and He has given us light; bind the festival sacrifice with cords to the horns of the altar.
 28   You are my God, and I give thanks to You – You are my God, I extol You.
 29    Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good, for His lovingkindness is everlasting. 
 

Our attitude towards Life should be totally positive

 Verse 21, 27  "I shall give thanks to You, for You have answered me, and You have become my salvation.  The Lord is God, and He has given us light..."   and verse 17,

I will not die, but live,
and will proclaim all that the Lord has done.   


Our attitude towards our life should be totally positive.  We can not be at all pessimistic ... how many have under some kind of pressure said "I wish I were dead!"  Out of our heart this death wish can open up all sorts of dark, negative forces in the form of thoughts that may come swarming into our mind.  To remain there long enough, t will eventually take over our entire personality.  What begins with an idle thought can become a tragic reality. 

Remember Moses, when He confronted the people in Deuteronomy 30:19, "This day... I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses; now choose life that you and your children may live..."  Life requires a choice on our part.  God sets choices  before us everyday--to choose, or we may not choose.  To not choose is also making the wrong choice. 

The choices we make will not only affect us, but those around us -- as well as our own descendants.  Choosing life will release a stream that will flow down to the succeeding generations.  Jesus reminds us, "The thief will come only to seal, kill and destroy. But I have come that you may have life, and have it to the full."  John 10:10.  

This day, Lord, according to your Word--I choose life, for myself and for those who will come after me.
























 

No comments:

Post a Comment